- Plans, directs, coordinates and oversees the engineering activities of the Company, including Documentation Control.
- Manages the company’s engineering projects directly or through project engineers.
- Coordinates resources within the Engineering Department to ensure that all activities are approached with a high sense of urgency, are meaningful, and are completed in a timely, cost-effective manner.
- Ensures that all product development and sustaining engineering is planned, scheduled and executed in accordance with Company new product development guidelines, including meeting product costs and timeline. Assigns, coordinates and monitors project activities and staffing, and develops and implements recovery plans for projects that are not on schedule.
- Ensures that the Engineering Department is properly staffed, that each associate is adequately trained and knowledgeable about their duties and tasks, and that all associates have the skills, tools, equipment and other resources to perform their job duties.
- Develops realistic estimates for the completion of assigned tasks and actively participates in developing, and takes ownership of, timelines for projects; communicates expectations in a clear fashion, and holds responsible individuals accountable for results.
- Ensures that all designs and design changes are thoroughly tested, proven reliable and are designed for manufacturability.
- Ensures that Engineering design history files are maintained to document important and relevant engineering activities, assumptions, facts and data.
- Develops annual expense and capital budgets for the Engineering Department and manages actual expenditures within approved budgetary levels.
- May personally perform design and developmental aspects of assigned product line projects and product developments as required.
- Actively participates in negotiating the terms of contracts with consultants to perform research or design work as approved and manages projects handled by external resources.
- Develops and maintains detailed project timelines and schedules and coordinates regular design reviews for projects.
- Ensures the timely investigation and resolution of customer complaints that are assigned to Engineering, the nature of product failures and the identification of corrective and preventive actions.
- Responsible for overall project management, material specification, product reliability and product approvals and compliance. Communicates with approval agencies on all projects as required.
- Ensure effective internal communications with Sales, Marketing, Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Materials, Purchasing and other departments within the organization. Responds to requests in a timely and complete fashion.
- Assists customers directly when required and works closely with vendors as necessary.
- Ensures all critical engineering files, documentation and drawings are maintained and that all critical electronic files are backed up daily.
- Ensures the accurate and timely processing of Engineering Change Orders.
- Performs all other duties as assigned or directed.
Manages and directs all engineering staff, including the documentation control group. Provides timely feedback based on objective measures, including mid-year and annual reviews, regarding job performance in accordance with Company performance management guidelines. Implements corrective measures as required.
Works with Human Resources to interview and select staff, and develops and trains staff members.
Establishes annual goals and objectives for engineering staff according to the approved schedule. Ensures goals and objectives are established in a collaborative process with subordinates and that goals and objectives align with job responsibilities, corporate strategic objectives and project plans.
Appraises employee performance in a fair and objective fashion according to the approved schedule. Rewards, corrects and disciplines employees in a respectful and non-threatening manner as required. Addresses employee complaints and resolves
problems in a timely fashion.
Communicates with staff on a regular basis to ensure staff is kept apprised of important information and of current priorities, and to be current on the status of work being carried out by the department.
Ensures that the engineering staff is working consistent with Company priorities, policies and procedures at all times.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work with all levels of personnel
- Excellent communication skills
- Good scheduling and project management skills
- Ability to make independent judgments
- Must be responsive and flexible to schedule changes
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong technical skills and knowledge